top of page

    DAVID   T.   ARTS    

     While visiting and volunteering in South Africa for 2 months I observed many hand made 'African batiks' hanging from clothes lines under the sunlight.  With the sun's rays they glowed brighter than anything I had seen before, similar to neon lights but in the day time. I began to collect these individual pieces with the artists names sometimes written at the bottom.  For weeks I walked around numerous vendors in different neighborhoods sifting though over 2,000 of them stored in boxes and from those hanging above.  I kept many unique and rare images like the conjoined twins playing drums, another depicting a flood and a range of colors and designs for a truly one of a kind variety.  Although also beautiful without illumination, a lighting option is required for the full effect of these colors to be displayed.  

      Upon arriving home my brain storming led me to use a room divider as my medium for this project since I wanted to display many batiks together.  I also required something that shouldn't be hung on a wall as lights or a window are needed to be placed behind it for illumination.  In addition these batiks are double sided, so placing them against a wall would only enable one side to be seen.  If you look closely at the top left photo on this screen, it shows the front side while the top right photo next to it is actually the room divider turned around to show the back.  Most of the difference between the two sides is that the front has 'frames' around the batiks which is enlarged for you to see on the second to last row of pictures.  I then ordered a room divider with small square patterns of wood like graph paper that would serve as the border frames supporting the glued batiks upon them. 

       Being limited to how many batiks I could fit on this room divider I had to choose the most suitable ones from a selection of animals, colors and imaged stories.  There were plenty of different lengths and widths that I also needed to take into account for positioning.  Resting them on top of a cloth with the dimensions of the room divider as a border, I was able to coordinate the locations of the selected batiks like a puzzle.  I moved them around quite a bit to find the right color and theme balance.  The very few remaining empty gaps were also covered in the end.  The 32 images of these batiks can be seen from both sides as the wax techniques and colors used penetrates the material completely validating these are not prints. 

click images below for new gallery

bottom of page